My two favourite times of year are the week after South West Rocks when I have fresh mackerel to cook with and the couple of days after a tuna run to Portland. After spending the long weekend at Portland for #NSC17, I returned with a nice slab of fresh southern bluefin tuna, courtesy of Jordo, one of the entrants.
Here’s a quick and easy recipe that made for a beautiful dinner tonight.
- Tuna steaks (1.5 inches thick)
- Sesame seeds
- 2 tbl spoons of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- Vegetable oil
- Mixed leaf salad
- 1/2 Cucumber
- Honey Soy dressing
- Salt & Pepper
- Chang’s crunchy noodles
- Mix the sesame oil and soy together in a bowl.
- Baste the tuna in the mixture using the back of a spoon.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Toast off the sesame seeds in a hot pan.
- Spread a layer of sesame seeds on a chopping board and coat tuna on all sides.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a frying pan to a med-high heat.
- Sear the tuna steaks on all sides until the crust becomes lightly golden.
- Combine the mixed leaves with some sliced cucumber and crunchy noodles.
- Add honey soy dressing to taste.